Gastroenterology is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of digestive diseases and cancers affecting the gastrointestinal system. Possible affected areas include the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, gallbladder and pancreas.
Digestive diseases are extremely common, with 50 per cent of the population presenting some symptoms related to the digestive system. Moreover, digestive cancers such as colon cancer, stomach cancer and liver cancer are still commonly seen in Singapore. These cancers, if discovered early by regular screenings, are amenable to treatment and cure.
Great advances in gastrointestinal endoscopy have enabled early and accurate diagnosis of gastrointestinal diseases. Treatment can be performed through the endoscopy, and early gastric or colonic cancer can now be removed endoscopically without undergoing major surgery.
Several breakthroughs have also been made in the medical treatment of many chronic liver diseases with the availability of new and better drugs. Patients with chronic hepatitis B or C can now be treated or cured, reducing the number of people dying from liver cirrhosis and failure.
We provide personalised professional consultation in gastroenterology and hepatology, and carry out gastrointestinal endoscopy such as gastroscopy, small bowel enteroscopy, videocapsule endoscopy and colonoscopy in the screening, diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases.
Endoscopic procedures of gastrointestinal tract available are:
- Endoscopy screening for stomach and colon cancer.
- Pill cam or video capsule endoscopy in the diagnosis of small intestinal diseases.
- Endoscopic ultrasound in the diagnosis and staging of gastrointestinal cancer or submucosal tumour.
- Endoscopic dilatation or enteral stent placement for gastrointestinal strictures due to cancer, inflammation or achalasia.
- Endoscopic hemostatic therapy for gastrointestinal bleeding from ulcer, cancer, varices or haemorrhoids.
- Endoscopic ablation of gastrointestinal tumour in the oesophagus, stomach or colon with laser or argon plasma coagulation.
Consultation in gastroenterology and hepatology:
- Diagnosis and treatment of liver diseases – chronic hepatitis B and C, autoimmune hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, primary biliary cholangitis and fatty liver disease.
- Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic diseases such as acute and chronic pancreatitis.
- Diagnosis and treatment of digestive diseases affecting the oesophagus, stomach, small intestines and colon.
CAH Specialists @ Mount Alvernia (Mt Alvernia Medical Centre)
Mt Alvernia Medical Centre
820 Thomson Road Blk A #05-03 Singapore 574623
+65 6256 0417 / 6535 8833 (24 hrs)
How To Get There
Bus: 52, 54, 74, 93, 130, 132, 156, 157, 162, 166, 167, 851, 852, 855, 980
MRT: Marymount Station (CC Line), Bishan Station (NS Line)
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm
Sat: 9am to 1pm
CAH Specialists @ Farrer
Farrer Park Medical Centre, Connexion
1 Farrer Park Station Road
#07-05 Singapore 217562
+65 6443 0612
How To Get There
Bus: 21, 23, 64, 66, 67, 125, 130, 131, 139, 141, 857
MRT: Farrer Park Station (NE Line)
Taxi: Race Course Road
Mon-Fri: 9am to 6pm
Sat: 9am to 1pm